FibreFENCE is a range of fences and gates for the airport sector designed and manufactured by Fibre Net Spa. Unlike other materials, FibreFENCE is built with a specially designed radio-transparent and frangible fibre reinforced polymer (FRP). This guarantees no interference with instrument landing systems (ILS) or radar devices and limits damage in the event of aircraft impact, which greatly improves flight safety.
Frangible, radio transparent, and ICAO compliant fencing systems
FibreFENCE developed a unique technology to manufacture radio-transparent and frangible fencing systems to cope with the most of demanding airport requirements in terms of security, access control, and low maintenance costs.
FibreFENCE has been recognised as the best solution for fencing and protecting sensitive airport areas surrounding ILS or radar equipment and devices at regional or international airports, civil or military airports, and expansion projects. The company’s FRP fencing systems have been installed in more than 100 airports worldwide.
Airport perimeter fences
FibreFENCE airport perimeter fences’ main components (mesh, vertical posts, wind-bracings, outrigger arms) are made with composite fibre-reinforced polymer (FRP), namely continuous glass fibers impregnated with thermosetting resins matrix, while small accessories, fittings and fastening components are made with Stainless or Galvanized steel.
The main advantages of FibreFENCE systems are:
- Full Radio-Transparency: no interferences with any landing aids devices (ILS, MLS, GLS, TLS, NDB, VOR, DME) or Radars
- Calibrated frangibility: strong enough to avoid intrusions, but fragile enough to reduce possible airplane damages in case of out-track landing
- No visual interference for the security personnel supervising the surrounding areas
- Wildlife intrusion control: fence bottom section can be made with narrow mesh to avoid small animals’ intrusion, without affecting overall costs and visual interference
- Excellent resistance to weathering (in particular, good response to brisk changes in temperature and severe environmental conditions) and UV rays.
- Low-cost when compared with other radio-transparent fencing solutions
- Simple and fast installation
- Zero maintenance needed, lifespan virtually unlimited
- Compatibility with most common access control systems
FibreFENCE systems fully comply with ICAO standards in terms of security (ref. Aerodrome Design Manual – Part 6 – Frangibility – 1st Edition 2006) and airport infrastructures (ref. Aerodromes Design/Operations – Volume 1 – 4th Edition July 2004 and following amendments and integrations). Furthermore, the system can be easily tailored to fulfill dimensional specifications according to the requirements of local Civil Aviation Authorities.
Specific technical solutions have been developed by Fibre Net to comply with the Italian Civil Aviation Authority (ENAC) and foreign aviation authority standards, meaning FibreFENCE fencing systems have already been approved and adopted by these organisations. Special projects have been developed in cooperation with military forces to face even more demanding applications.