Aberdeen International Airport in Dyce is owned and operated by BAA. It is the second busiest airport in Scotland.
The airport was opened in 1934 by Eric Gandar Dower with the intention of connecting the northern islands of Scotland with London. In 1947, the airport was nationalised and control was handed over to BAA in 1975.
The airport acts as a hub for BMI Regional and Eastern Airways. It handled 2.98m passengers in 2009 and the number is expected to increase to 4m by 2015. In 2009, the airport recorded 109,876 aircraft movements.
Aberdeen International Airport master plan
Two major development projects were planned under the airport’s master plan 2006. The first phase was started in 2008 and included expansion and refurbishment of the international arrivals hall and increase of the terminal capacity.
The second phase is expected to start after 2015 and will include the expansion of runway and construction of new parking stands for aircraft. Improvement of the immigration hall and baggage reclaim facilities is also included in the master plan.
After 2015, the northern elevated walkway will be extended to provide extra space. A new southern pier will be added to provide enhanced facilities for passengers.
Further expansion of the runway by 100m towards the south is also planned to begin after 2015.
The airport currently has 16 parking stands and the number is expected to increase up to 25 by 2015.
Approximately £60m will be spent over the next 10 years to extend the runway to suit heavy bodied aircraft.
Aberdeen airport expansion
The expansion works of the airport started in 2006 with the aim of attracting international routes. The works included the installation of an international walkway.
The renovation works of the terminal were completed in June 2009. As part of the renovation an area of 833m² was added to the departure lounge in 2007 at a cost of £3m.
A 175-room Hilton "Garden Inn" hotel opened in 2011. The expansion works are expected to create 1,200 jobs.
Aberdeen airport has a single main passenger terminal consisting of two floors opened in 1977.
It has another three terminals which are used by Bristow Helicopters, CHC-Scotia and Bond Offshore Helicopters.
The ground floor of the terminal features check-in on the left side of concourse and arrivals on the right.
A baggage reclaim facility lies next to the arrivals hall. First floor of the terminal accommodates departure lounges.
Other facilities such as a games area, car hire, WiFi, a currency exchange, information services and executive lounges are also available.
The airport has a single runway designated 16/34. The runway is 1,829m long and is surfaced with asphalt.
The airport provides 1,950 car parking spaces and the number is expected to rise to 2,800 by 2015.
There are two short stay car parks at the airport. The first is located in front of the terminal building and the second near the terminal.
The long stay car park is situated close to the terminal. A fast track parking area is available in front of the check-in area of the terminal.
A shuttle service connects the bus station with the airport. Rail transport is available as Dyce railway station is located near the airport.