Fairfax India Holdings, the Indian arm of the Canadian investment group Fairfax Financial Holdings, is reportedly weighing an initial public offering (IPO) for Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL), according to a Bloomberg report.

The flotation, if materialised, would value the entity at Rs300bn ($3.7bn).

Citing people privy to the development, the news agency said that Fairfax India, which holds a controlling stake in Kempegowda International Airport in Bengaluru city, located in the Indian state of Karnataka, is working with an adviser on the plan.

The potential IPO could take place as soon as next year.

It may include around 75% primary shares and the remainder in existing shares, with sources expecting it to fetch Rs30bn to Rs40bn.

Discussions are said to be currently underway, though the IPO details could change.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Fairfax may even decide not to go ahead with the listing, the people said.

In 2017, the firm purchased its initial stake in the airport.

Fairfax India picked a further 6% stake in BIAL from Siemens Project Ventures for Rs4.5bn ($67m) in May 2018.

Currently, Fairfax India has a 54% stake in BIAL.

In January 2001, BIAL was incorporated to build, own and run the airport under a 60-year concession. 

Private promoters own a 74% stake in BIAL, while the remaining 26% interest is held by the Government, according to the company website.