Visit our Covid-19 microsite for the latest coronavirus news, analysis and updates

Follow the latest updates of the outbreak on our timeline.

Wuhan Tianhe International Airport in Hubei Province, China, has opened for passengers after around two months of closure.

In January, China shut down all modes of transport to and from Wuhan city, which was the epicentre of the Covid-19 outbreak.

China lifted all the restrictions imposed on Wuhan on 8 April after 76 days under lockdown. Restrictions on the Hubei Province were lifted last month.

The airport terminal was disinfected last week by 161 professionals.

Wuhan Tianhe International Airport is situated 26km north of Wuhan city and operates direct flights to New York, London, San Francisco, Paris, Rome and Moscow.

CGTN stated that the first commercial passenger flight to arrive from the airport was the Xiamen Air flight MF8095 at around 7:45am local time.

It is expected that the airport will receive a reduced number of flights in the near future.

Bloomberg reported that people rushed to the airport to take flights back to their homes. Many people came to Wuhan during the Lunar New Year holidays and were stuck in the city when the lockdown was imposed.

People also opted to travel by train and car.

However, people were only permitted to leave the city if they had a ‘green code’, which was given by apps overseen by Alibaba Group and Tencent. The app uses the individual’s travel history, health information and close contacts.

China Southern Airlines check-in manager He Yuqing stated that it was operating 28 flights departing from Wuhan on 8 April.

Some charter flights were also operated, which had medical workers returning home.

China’s National Health Commission (NHC) reported that, on 7 April, 62 new cases of Covid-19 were confirmed in mainland China, of which 59 were imported. NHC added that there were two deaths, one of which was from Hubei Province.

The total cases of imported infections in the country currently stands at 1,042.