French IT company Atos has received a contract worth €12m to manage and overhaul core applications at 46 airports operated by from Spanish airport operator AENA.

The contract is initially valid for three years, with the option to extend it for a further two years available.

AENA uses different applications for the management of its airports, passengers and other airline-related activities.

Under the agreement, the French company will be responsible for making sure that current applications are effectively managed.

The contract also involves the development of new enterprise apps based on technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI), biometrics, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) to improve airport operations and passenger experience.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Maintenance of the existing applications accounts for 25% of the contract, while the remaining 75% accounts for the development of the applications, which will be progressively scaled to the rest of the airports.

As well as operating 46 airports, two heliports in Spain and one in Luton, Aena also supports the management of 17 airports across Europe and the Americas.

In August, Aena contracted thyssenkrupp Elevator to install and maintain passenger boarding bridges (PBBs) and moving walks in three airports.

In April, Aena secured an €86m ($97.27m) loan from the European Investment Bank (EIB) to improve energy efficiency and reduce carbon emissions at its airports.

Funding for the energy project is being made available under the European Fund for Strategic Investments (EFSI).

In March, Aena announced plans to invest approximately $282.57m (€250m) in establishing solar power plants to reduce electricity bills and carbon emissions.