British Airways has chosen a smart proximity access control solution from SALTO Systems to provide advanced security management in the airline's new state-of-the-art passenger facility at Terminal 5 Heathrow. London Heathrow is one of the world's busiest international airports and fea
SALTO Systems is one of the global leaders in advanced wireless access control solutions. It develops and manufactures state-of-the-art electronic security products that are used by major airports around the world. These enable personnel, visitors and members of the public to be controlled and monitored over large-scale facilities by SALTO Systems’ integrated airport access control systems.
Electronic access control systems
Controlling access to key areas within an airport and its associated buildings (air traffic control, flight operations, maintenance areas, crew lounges, passenger lounges and baggage handling areas) is vital and the latest in state-of-the-art electronic access control technology is required to achieve it.
The SALTO XS4 access system uses patented data-on-card and SALTO virtual network technology to control standalone electronic escutcheons and cylinders. Simply by using their RFID card, all the latest access information about a cardholder is presented to the standalone electronic locks, including information on deleted cards, while at the same time picking up data such as audit trail events and battery status.
The SALTO XS4 does this for every member of staff in the airport and can control up to 64,000 doors and four million users on a single system. It does not matter how many people need to access airport buildings and facilities, SALTO ensures all the doors remain updated and secure. This provides the airport security department with what they need most: total control.
Airport access control
The SALTO XS4 system offers a number of advanced features that make it the perfect choice to control and manage a wide range of security applications within the airport environment. The scalable system is part of SALTO’s 360° solutions platform. This includes electronic cylinders, wall readers, panic bars, locker locks and glass door locks, and its open architecture and SALTO SVN data-on-card technology enables connection to an existing infrastructure to create a fully integrated wire-free access control platform that is secure, reliable and easy to use. The airport relevant features include:
- Simple installation on any type of door, including those with narrow frames
- All communications between the RFID key card and the electronic lock are encrypted and secure
- Wireless communication at 2.4Ghz 802.14.2 with an AES 128bits encryption
- Contactless versions compatible with ISO 14443A, ISO 14443B and ISO 15693 (vicinity) standards using a wide range of mainstream RFID brands, including DESfire, DESfireEV1, Mifare, Mifare plus, Legic, HID iClass and Inside Picopass allowing multi-application with third-party systems on one card
- Emergency lock down and opening modes
- Anti-pass-back to prevent a cardholder from passing their access card to someone behind them
- Non-volatile memory (memory is not deleted, even if power fails)
- User on card audit trail capability for daily management and monitoring purposes
- Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) compliant
- Flexible configuration options enable the system to be configured to meet site-specific requirements
Accredited access control system supplier
SALTO is registered as a supplier and installer with the UK Department of Transport and the UK Ministry of Defence. SALTO has accreditation to ISO 9001:2008 certification.