View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
August 6, 2012

Turkey to float tender for third airport in Istanbul

Turkey is planning to invite a tender for a third airport in Istanbul later this month, following final approval from the country's planning committee (DTP).

By admin-demo

Turkey is planning to invite a tender for a third airport in Istanbul later this month, following final approval from the country’s planning committee (DTP).

The new airport is required to meet rapidly growing passenger demand in Istanbul, Turkey’s busiest city.

Turkey Transport Minister Binali Yildirim was quoted by Reuters as saying that as soon as the airport project receives approval from DTP, which could be in August, the ministry will announce the tender.

"If everything goes well we will have what we need to complete the tender by the end of the year, and take the necessary steps for construction to begin," Yildirim said.

Turkey has also begun procedures to take over a plot of land in advance of construction the new airport, which will be located on the European side in the northern part of Istanbul near the Black Sea.

"The airport will be 80% owned by the public, while the remaining 20% will be acquired through nationalisation."

The airport will be 80% owned by the public, while the remaining 20% will be acquired through nationalisation.

The new airport is planned to be built on the build-operate-transfer model, for which the country’s high planning commission (YPK) is in the final stages of its decision.

The first phase of the project is expected to be completed by 2015, allowing it the airport handle 90 million passengers every year.

The airport is planning to expanded further to have three runways for simultaneous use, increasing the passenger handling capacity to 150 million.

In 2011, Turkey witnessed 10% rise in tourists to 31.46 million and the country is planning to host nearly 50 million tourists per year by 2023.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Monday. The airport industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Airport Technology